Strategic Goal 1: To create an outstanding university learning environment that enriches the lives of undergraduate students and helps them to become well-educated individuals, lifelong learners, productive healthcare providers, potential leaders and active citizens.
- Maintain a friendly learning environment that responds to the desires, needs and backgrounds of new students.
- Attract and retain the most promising students who will benefit from the rich University resources.
- Ensure the use of innovative curricula and state-of-the-art teaching/training technologies.
- Place a high priority on excellence in curriculum development, teaching practices and student assessment in the faculty development, recognition and rewards system of the University.
- Develop a Foundation Program that instills knowledge, skills, creativity and a love of learning in newly-admitted students in order to prepare them for the diverse academic programs offered in the different colleges of the University.
- Maintain a core commitment to Evidence-Based teaching and enhance linking research concepts to professional practice.
- Regularly review the curriculum, the study plans, the modes of delivery, and student assessment practices to ensure high quality academic programs in the University.
- Serve as a valued partner in teaching students and trainees safe, appropriate, effective and compassionate patient care conforming to evidence-based standards and high quality outcomes.
- Offer high quality development and support programs to faculty members in order to enhance their academic competence and teaching skills so that they can provide first-rate education.
- Improve academic and student support services and offer an array of social and athletic activities to promote the students’ enjoyment and well-being.
Strategic Goal 2: To cultivate excellent postgraduate and professional health science programs, and advance research and scholarly enterprises.
- Foster a rich, vibrant learning/training environment to prepare the next generation of scientists, researchers, academicians and healthcare professionals.
- Develop new graduate and postgraduate health programs in identified areas of need and opportunity.
- Maintain the strength and national prominence of the existing postgraduate residency/fellowship training programs.
- Recruit and retain excellent senior faculty with vast research experience and provide them with research facilities and support.
- Ensure the availability, accessibility and robustness of advanced information and virtual technology that meets the needs of all postgraduate students/trainees and cultivate a reputation of excellence.
- Improve research productivity by increasing student and faculty involvement in funded research.
- Recruit the most academically qualified graduates who will benefit from the strong postgraduate programs.
Strategic Goal 3: To strengthen research in the health sciences so that it can meet internationally competitive standards and augment the work of the King Abdullah International Medical Research Center.
- Identify and foster research where the University can have the greatest impact, and where the quality of research will lead to distinction and global recognition.
- Achieve greater competitiveness for grant funding of research through collaboration across geographic and organizational boundaries within and, where appropriate, outside the Kingdom.
- Encourage University students conducting basic research and epidemiological studies of common national health problems.
- Continue to strengthen and expand clinical research and plan cutting-edge medical services and public healthcare.
- Provide faculty with sufficient protected time, laboratory space, research facilities and support services.
- Assistant in grant application and manuscript preparation, and increase awareness of funding research opportunities.
- Encourage faculty, staff and students to participate in creative technological research and invention, and facilitate registration for patency, licensing and commercialization.
Strategic Goal 4: To attain national and international recognition for high quality academic programs.
- Approve selected academic under- and post- graduate programs on the basis of their quality and ability to meet the needs of the workforce.
- Recruit and retain dedicated, talented and creative faculty, administrative staff, artists and other professionals from diverse backgrounds, whose work gives them visibility beyond the classrooms and offices.
- Attract internationally recognized and world-class faculty who have outstanding credentials and research experience, in order to promote the mission and vision of the University.
- Support professional development/enhancement of all University staff.
- Communicate performance expectations and accountability based on established job descriptions, and provide constructive evaluation of faculty and staff.
- Ensure that technology is constantly used and upgraded to enhance teaching and training.
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communication plan for publicizing the University’s initiatives, collaborations and accomplishments.
- Develop state-of-the-art websites for the University, Colleges, Deanships and Centers that provide up-to-date information for visitors, and details of student, faculty and alumni achievements.
- Maximize the use of resources by creating and sustaining a culture of innovation, collaboration, quality, leadership and service in all areas and at all levels.
- Implement a process of systematic program review that both fosters programs of distinction, and enhances pedagogy that contributes to successful student outcomes.
Strategic Goal 5: To create, encourage, and facilitate opportunities for university-wide involvement in diverse community activities, and to collaborate with public- and private-sector partners who address the goals of the university and National Guard Healthcare System.
- Create a Public Relations Department for the university, staffed by experienced and exemplary professionals.
- Plan and carefully execute community health promotion campaigns and disease prevention programs.
- Forge strong national and international partnerships with other universities and public and private organizations to foster university involvement and enhance achievements.
- Develop an annual calendar to ensure university-wide involvement in all national and international community events, comprehensive preparation for these occasions and active participation of university faculty and students.
- Increase awareness in the community of the role of the university as an advocate for the health of the people in this country through education, research and community services.
- Increase opportunities for research and creative economic development in health and education by expanding involvement in corporate, government and international partnerships.Assure the appearance of the KSAU-HS brand identity in printed and electronic media as the sole academic sponsor of all scientific activities in the National Guard Healthcare System.
Strategic Goal 6: To attract high caliber University faculty for the future, and to emphasize their development/enhancement in light of new pedagogical modalities and expectations.
- Intensify efforts to recruit academically qualified faculty, particularly those with strong research records, either through internationally reliable recruitment agencies or through short trips to well recognized universities around the world which hold recruitment potential.
- Develop within the next five years a well-funded scholarship program to address the urgent needs of all colleges for well-qualified faculty.
- Expand and maintain regular, readily available, accessible and comprehensive faculty development/ enhancement programs targeting faculty needs and educational objectives.
- Promote and support multi-, inter-, and trans-disciplinary education and research, while sustaining traditional lines of personal and institutional accountability.
- Regularly review part-time and full-time non-tenured academic appointments to ensure that they adequately reflect the needs and standards of the faculty as well as their commitments and contributions.
- Promote professional growth among faculty members by providing leadership development opportunities.
Strategic Goal 7: To create an organizational structure and promote a workplace culture that facilitates quality performance at all levels of the University.
- Establish and maintain an efficient and effective administrative structure necessary for accomplishing the University’s Mission.
- Develop career ladders as a means for recruiting and promoting employees.
- Strengthen the capability of frontline employees [e.g. Public Relations, Recruitment, Support Services, etc.] so that they can provide optimal services.
- Increase professional growth and development opportunities for employees by providing easy access to national and international training programs.
- Ensure operational excellence and administrative efficiency through the use of appropriate technology, improved communications and accurate data.
- Reduce bureaucratic obstacles to efficiency by instituting clear organizational lines of authority, and promoting delegation of authority for decision-making to the lowest possible levels.
- Empower all employees in leading positions to maximize their potential as contributing members to the growth and development of the University.
- Create non-threatening systems for employees to voice their concerns, and develop methods to address these concerns appropriately.
- Establish Awards of Excellence that recognize faculty, staff and alumni who exemplify servant-leadership in their professional endeavors, and whose work adheres to the core values of the University.
- Develop student support services that provide career and business guidance to assist University graduates in making career choices in the health profession.
- Review and revise administrative policies and procedures to ensure their efficiency in facilitating work processes.
- Ensure quality, accuracy, integrity and accessibility of data to enhance planning, management and strategic use of these data.
Strategic Goal 8: To strengthen the financial foundation of the University in order to enhance its capacity to address financial needs and to maintain fiscal stability.
- Enhance the University’s financial system and management through new technology and enlightened accountability.
- Attract and retain a highly competent team of professional staff who are experienced in the field of public relations, particularly institutional advancement.
- Develop a multi-faceted approach to foster partnerships with public authorities, private businesses, philanthropic organizations, alumni and others who are supportive of the Mission of the University.
- Develop a comprehensive set of financial strategies to diversify funding streams in order to increase overall levels of funds and investments.
- Provide a systematic framework for planning investment projects, and for assessing the financial performance to ensure diversified income streams.
Strategic Goal 9: To develop an intellectually stimulating University campus for the future that is sustainable, flexible, imaginative and expandable, and to encourage a sense of community among faculty, staff and students.
- Determine the educational programs that we value most, so that teaching facilities and construction priorities are established.
- Ensure reliable, functional and economically efficient University facilities and infrastructure.
- Plan and ensure adequate temporary physical facilities and support services for students and faculty before the start of any new educational program or college.
- Create urgently required student and trainee classrooms, lounges, lecture halls and study areas that are large enough to accommodate under– and post-graduate students on core rotations in the hospitals of KAMCs and PHCCs.
- Design a dynamic master plan for the University campus with a thriving colorful intellectual environment, and high standard physical structures with the latest technologies to contribute positively to the mental, spiritual and physical well being of all students and faculty.
- Enhance the technological infrastructure to assure highly advanced communications, information storage and transfer, research and instruction capability, and university-wide sharing of information.
- Establish a large state-of-the-art Clinical Skills Resource Center in the center of the University campus as the beating heart of the academic campus body.
- Establish a University Museum of Medical Culture and Heritage that reflects the world and national history of medicine.
- Promote student health by creating and maintaining services for stress management, emotional and mental health, and wellness through the establishment of a Student Health Center.
- Improve the physical connection and electronic communication between the academic and healthcare facilities to create an acceptable standard of life for students, and a professional faculty environment.Provide faculty, staff and students with an up-to-date computer and network environment, including anytime/anywhere high speed access to the internet.
Strategic Goal 10: To forge robust collaborative partnerships amongst the components of the National Guard Healthcare System, and promote a more comprehensive multidisciplinary team practice.
- Build enduring two-way relationships, utilizing and sharing the available human and logistic resources in a very cost-effective way.
- Maintain productive links and engagement in teaching, training, research, healthcare and community health promotion programs, and other related activities and services.